Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jill Puchacz and thoughts on Full Moon and Attention Spans

So this is what I have noticed... Please keep in mind I am not a scientist and there is no real proof other than my observations of my small group of students.

My kids lose it around a full moon.  Its almost as if my voice doesn't exist and they forget that when they are in school it means that they have to accomplish things. I am a very loud and animated person, very difficult to ignore or tune out, but I feel like they manage it!  I have tried writing the assignments and topics on the board, handing out a list of things to accomplish as well as stating it 3 or 4 different times... and I still get blank stares as if I am either a mute or speaking a whole different language.

I wonder if other teachers have the same experiences as me.  Any thoughts on how to make this a little more workable?

1 comment:

  1. Jill, my understanding is that this type of situation is quite common. I have a friend who is a teacher and she tells me that she has each student physically write out each assignment at the start of class while explaining her expectations. Then while the students are working on the assignment, she has them get involved with keeping everyone on tract through discussion and even having them answer "common sense" questions about the assignment just to keep the participation going.

    I don't know you if you have tried these type of techniques with your students, but it might be worse a try. Every little bit helps, right?

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete